Saturday, July 22, 2006

iGRIP Global Swivel Mount


I've been trying to find a good car mount for my 700W. First I bought one off eBay that looked just like the Boxwave Mobile Mounting Kit. It was just a knockoff that didn't work. Cheap junk. Next I bought the Boxwave because it looked great. There were 3 things I didn't like about this.

1) Small suction cup would not hold. Any amount of heat would not allow this to stay on the windshield.
2) Short bottom feet to hold device.
3) Vibration from gooseneck.

Today I received the iGRIP Global Swivel Mount purchased from ExtremePDA.

So far this is great, but I'll only know after using it a bit whether it will stay put on the windshield. Things I like....

1) Large suction cup - this should hold, at least I hope so. I've already found that it will not hold at all in areas where the windshield is slightly curved.
2) No gooseneck. Very stable mount with 2 axis adjustment knobs.
3) Smooth release mechanism - squeeze arms to hold device, press button to release
4) Long, adjustable feet - these will still hold the device when released, they can slide in and out so you can access the ports on the bottom, can also be moved to opposite side
5) Reversible - move the feet to the other side and rotate it 90 degrees and the arms are lower, this keeps them from pressing the side buttons on the Treo

To be honest, I can't really think of any negatives yet, except for its need for perfectly flat windshield.



No comments: