Thursday, February 08, 2007

Logitech Harmony 670 remote - initial impressions

My Harmony 670 arrived today, and I've had a chance to play around with it a little. I've been using a Harmony 880 for over a year now but was drawn to this remote because of its focus on DVR functionality. The 880 is more advanced, but I thought there was a chance this remote might suit me better since I use a TiVo more than anything else.

I'm very impressed with the Harmony software when it comes to switching remotes. I just told it the new model and hooked it up. After a little bit of trouble getting the software to see the remote(maybe just a computer/USB/Internet Explorer issue), all my settings from the 880 were downloaded to the 670. Nice! Now I can use both remotes with the same settings for comparison.

Other thoughts....
1) Seems to be slightly faster controlling my equipment.
2) Lack of rechargeable batteries could get irritating.
3) Smaller, less detailed screen shows less information than I'm used to.
4) Lack of a tilt sensor means the GLOW button must be pressed to see anything.
5) Difficult to see the button labels because of the black lettering (the 880 uses white lettering)
6) Button feel and separation is nice. I can see this being easy to use by feel once I learn the button layout.
7) Similar but different button layout will take some getting used to.

After just a couple of hours, I find myself just wanting to use my 880. Of course, you normally prefer to stick with what's comfortable. There's nothing wrong with the 880; it's a great remote. The 670 will have to really stand out in some area for it to take over as my main remote. I'll force myself to use it for a bit, and we'll see what happens.

Look for a full review, lots of pics, and comparison to the 880 within the week.

No comments: